Wednesday, June 6, 2007

The Application Process

I was sitting there, reading this 60 page packet that describes the duty of the union and the duty of its members. It then described the expectations and role of an apprentice in the local union. It was a lot of reading, but I've read books before, I've read technical manuals and I'm a high school graduate and have attended some college. Well that describes my ability to read. Then there's the guy who just walked by me. He approaches the counter and asks for an application. Prior to filling out your application you have to read the above mentioned packet. The receptionist explains this to him and he gladly takes the packet and sits down and begins thumbing through it. He walks back up to the receptionist and asks what type of ID you have to have to work. As it turns out his name is one thing, and his birth certificate is something else. However, he's the same guy... he "Promise's!" Yeah right! Take a hike dude, and PS, if you can't speak fluent English and aren't legal, I'm sure you can't join a federal union! No offense to foreigners, but quite frankly, someone needs to do their homework before applying!


I digressed from the title of this post... The application process. Oh yes, about that!


After calling the local union and learning that I needed to show up in person to apply, I drove down and found that I had a lot of reading to do. Fortunately, I was already aware of what it took to become an electrician so I did as I was told, signed away and paid the application fee. I was told that in a few weeks I would receive a letter informing me of a test date in which I would take an aptitude test. In the meantime I was to study up on my algebra and reading comprehension skills!


Two weeks pass by and I am informed of a test date only weeks away. I show up to test. It is a pass or fail test, no grade or percentage. Once I completed the test I moved onto an interview process and finally was selected to join.

A few pointers for the applicants: Take the test seriously. I know you're going to hear how easy it is, but if you don't take the time to study algebra and refresh your reading comprehension. You may find yourself failing that "easy" test. As I recall, you have to know fractions, using tables, and simplifying complex algebraic questions for the math part. If you were like me, and haven't been in school for years, then a refresher is in order. I found watching the Comcast On Demand Algebra math programs hit the spot. When reading, the important thing I found was just paying attention to the material. All the answers are in the material, you just have to understand what they're asking for. My advice is finding study materials on anything. Read the material and go the question section and practice searching for answers.

These things worked for me... To prove it, I was told I passed as one of the highest scores in my group. No bragging here, as everyone is on the same playing field, pass or fail, but just so you know. I passed my first time through.

No comments: